Friday, April 22, 2011

Crafts: Happy Earth Day!

Happy Earth Day, everyone! To get into the swing of things, I thought I'd share a project that I've been working on that's a great way to reuse that whole collection of plastic market bags we end up with.

I found the project in this great book, Craftivity:

Up-cycled Market Bag

I gathered my plastic bags and cut them into strips to make a sort of "yarn". This took a very long time to do.
Then I started crocheting with the "yarn" strips. First I had to make the base and then crochet up to make the sides. They suggest using stronger, thicker shopping bags for the base since it holds most of the weight.
This bag is pretty strong and durable. Take it to the market and feel good about not wasting those plastic bags!

[photography by kevin and me :)]

3 comments:

JessT808 said...

Superduper awesome! Love it Jen :-)

Loud n Brown said...

duuuuude! on earth day, i picked up some litter . . . did i help?

jujublee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.