Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Crafts: Fair Isle Knit

I've always loved knitted items done in fair isle knit. Fair isle knit typically uses about two to five different colors to create its patterns. Here are some examples of some typical fair isle sweaters:
jumpers
This is a knitting technique I would love to get really good at, so I've started practicing with a much simpler two color pattern. It's more time consuming, but it definitely gives your knit a special quality that solids and stripes don't have.
hearts
This scarf I'm working on is on a size 8/16 inch circular needle done in stockinette stitch. One thing that makes fair isle knitting so much more complicated is that you are working with multiple colors of yarn simultaneously, constantly changing colors every few stitches.

It's challenging, but that's part of the fun!

6 comments:

Crindy said...

you're getting SO GOOD!! I love it! ahhhh... and katie has gotten really good at crochet. meanwhile my skills have not progressed since 2006. in fact I think I probably lost them all. blast.

Tommy said...

what a cute design, however, you are slowly getting to grandmother status.

Creepy Jen said...

haha. i've been in grandmother status my whole life.

Loud n Brown said...

i'd like to order 2 please!

Shianhan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shianhan said...

Your knitting skills are amazing! I'm having difficulty with knitting single colored rows in the round. How do you deal with the jogs?